When you think weight lifting, images of grunting men and bulging, Arnold Schwarzenegger like muscles probably comes to mind. Fitness experts and trainers are now encouraging women to think again. Heavy weight lifting offers many important benefits that make pumping iron a pretty good idea.
Why women should lift heavy weights
There are so many good reasons to lift heavy weights the real question is why wouldn’t women lift heavy weights? Benefits include:
– Lifting heavier weights helps your body burn more fat. What is even better is not only will you burn body fat you will also burn belly fat more efficiently. When you whittle your middle you reduce your chances of succumbing to diseases associated with belly fat. These include diabetes, hypertension, cancer, stroke and high blood pressure.
– You will speed weight loss when you lift heavier weights. Lifting heavier weights with fewer reps burns more calories than using lighter weights with more reps. Another benefit – as you improve your fat to muscle ratio you will burn more calories throughout the day, even when you are just sitting.
– Heavy weight lifting builds stronger bones. This benefit is especially important for postmenopausal women.
– Lifting weights increases bone density thus reducing your risk of fractures and osteoporosis.
– You can look forward to stronger joints when you lift heavier weights. Stronger joints mean better balance and fewer injuries.
– Build strength more quickly when you lift heavier weights. Use that strength to tackle household projects and sports activities with greater ease. Who says women are weak?
Look great when you lift heavy weights
– Banish the dreaded bat wings. Toned, defined arms are sexy. Lifting heavy weights helps you tighten up flabby arms and gives you more definition. Don’t be a slave to sweaters another summer. Get your arms show-off ready this year.
– Building strength also builds confidence. No matter what you wear you will look your best when your confidence shines.
– Go for it! Lifting will give you a lean look you’ll be proud to sport. Don’t worry about bulking up. You would need a lot more testosterone to get bulging muscles.
– Talk with fitness center staff about proper form and weight choice as you get started.
– Don’t forget the cardio. Weight lifting and aerobic exercise (running, cycling, tennis, etc.) are the perfect pairing for optimal health.