Start the day off right with good for you food that gives you more energy and focus to conquer your to do list and more.
Benefits of breakfast
There are many reasons not to skip the most important meal of the day. For example nutritious breakfast eaters are more likely to:
- Maintain healthy weight
- Enjoy a diet higher in nutrients, minerals and vitamins
- Have more physical endurance
- Have lower cholesterol levels
- Better concentration and focus
What to look for
Your morning meal should include some protein. Protein helps you feel satiated so you’re less likely to over snack or feel hungry before lunch. Also go for whole grains; they’re slow burning and help you stay sharp throughout the morning. Fiber-filled fruits or veggies should also be part of your morning meal. They help you stay full and keep your digestive system running smoothly.
Meals to try…
When you’re short on time
- Sprouted grain Ezekiel muffin with a smear of peanut butter or a few slice of avocado.
- Peanut butter wraps – spread peanut or almond butter on half a whole wheat tortilla, wrap it around a banana for a grab and go breakfast.
- Hardboiled egg with some fruit
- Enjoy a veggie and/or fruit smoothie
- Have Greek yogurt and berries
- Whole wheat toast topped with low fat ricotta and tomatoes.
If you have more time
• Eggs – they’re perfect for breakfast and quite versatile. Add zucchini, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes or any other veggie you love. They cook quickly so you can enjoy them in less time than it would take to make it through the drive –thru. Scramble eggs into a bowl or mug; add a bit of milk and your choice of cheese and veggies. When done – two eggs takes about 60 seconds – place on a whole wheat English muffin or flour tortilla for on the go goodness.
• Oatmeal – add in things like bananas, apples, hemp, flax, raisins. You can even make overnight oatmeal to save time in the morning. Grab a mason jar and add dairy or non-dairy milk, oats (not quick cooking) chia seeds (amounts depend on your desired consistency), and ½ banana. Stir and store in the fridge overnight. In the morning stir and add a little more liquid if needed then top with goodies like nuts, fruit, protein powder or granola. Grab your spoon and enjoy.
• Baked sweet potato – top as you like, remember you can eat veggies in the morning.
• Quinoa breakfast bowl – enjoy with cubed avocado, smoked salmon and a sunny-side up egg.
You can eat just about anything for breakfast as long as you focus on the basics – protein, whole grains and fiber. Steer clear of too much sugar as in flavored oatmeal packets or doughnuts. The goal is to eat for fuel and, of course, taste. Be creative and enjoy the benefits of a breakfast boost all day long.