In the hottest days of summer it feels almost impossible to slink yourself out of the cool house and into the sun for a hard workout. Yet you can’t miss a workout with beach dates and bathing suit shopping happening weekly. Luckily, you can sweat it out while staying cool at the same time with these workouts.
The Lake Workout
A lake is ideal because it’s on the beach (which gives you a better workout than stable land like concrete or even grass) and has a lake where you can work some muscles you may not reach otherwise. It would be ideal to have a waterproof watch or timer with you for this workout.
1. Start with a cardio warmup, jogging 5 minutes in the sand.
2. Do 3 rounds, 10 sets each of:
- Jumping jacks
- Jump squats
- Cross-body punches
Rest for 1 minute in between each round.
3. Jump in the water and swim for 30 seconds out.
4. When you reach deep water, kick your feet to tread while you spin your arms under water in circles, hands cupped—10 times each side.
5. Turn around and come back into shore.
6. Repeat the first part of the workout—jog and 3 sets of bodyweight work.
If you’re lucky enough to live near a pool, you can get a great workout no problem.
1. Start with 3 to 5 laps between the two furthest points of the pool.
2. In the shallow end, hop from side to side in place—10 times, 2 rounds.
3. Head to the deep end, hold the side of the pool and kick your feet for 30 seconds. Rest for 30 seconds to one minute and kick for another 30 seconds.
4. Continue holding the side of the pool and swing your legs back and forth bringing them as far up to the top of the water as possible. Do this for 20 to 30 seconds, rest for one minute, and do one more round.
5. Head back to the shallow end and do 10 jump squats, rest for 30 seconds and do 10 more. If you have weights that can go in the water, use those to make it harder.
6. Get out of the pool to finish the workout with 2 sets, 10 reps each of:
- Jumping jacks
- Inchworms (5 per round with a pushup, or 10 without the pushup)
- Front kicks