You’ve heard that yoga is great for body and spirit, but did you know that it can also give your face a lift? It’s true. When it comes to aging well, exercise isn’t just for your body. There are face moves you can use to avoid the knife and maintain a youthful appearance. Try this at home.
Crow’s feet, laugh lines, sagging cheeks, heavy lids and the like can make you look older than you feel. Proponents of facial yoga say you can remove some of the hands of time from your face. Here are some examples of the magic moves.
- Satchmo – blow out your cheeks like the famous trumpet player to erase laugh lines.
- Say ahhh! – extend your flat tongue out toward your chin to brighten dull eyes.
- Surprise – open your eyes wide without wrinkling your brow to ward off heaviness in your upper face.
- Pucker up – squeeze lips together in a fish kiss to tone and lift your cheeks
- Temple dancer – while keeping your head and neck still open eyes wide and move your gaze from left to right. This move helps you send crow’s feet packing.
- Legs up the wall pose – this pose is excellent for calming stress and anxiety, which can show on your face. It is also good for boosting the flow of oxygen and blood through your body to give you a healthy glow. Start by resting on the right side of your body on the bed or floor. Extend your legs up the wall. If your feet start to feel tingly, bend your knees out to the side a bit so that your legs are in the shape of a diamond. Stay in this position for at least five minutes.
We love the look of double chins on babies and little ones. Most of us don’t think they are so cute when we find them on our own faces. Send that second chin packing with these easy moves.
- Look up and turn your chin to the right. Place the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth. Swallow and then move to center. Again place your tongue on the roof of your mouth. Swallow and continue movements on turning to the left. This move helps you eliminate a double chin and also tones sagging necks.
- Neck roll – sit comfortably with your spine straight. Begin by tucking your chin into your chest and then roll your neck so that your ears graze your shoulders. Stop at center after a few rolls and reverse direction.
- Chin lift – stand or sit with your spine straight. Look up toward the ceiling and, keeping the rest of your face still, pucker your lips as if in a kiss.
Try these exercises for just 5 minutes a day to begin noticing a difference in about a month. Remember to exercise, drink plenty of water, always wear sunscreen and limit sugar as well. When it comes to reducing wrinkles and avoiding the knife, what you do is almost as important as what you don’t do.