If you want to keep your youthful, glowing skin for as long as possible, you have to take care of it. However, many products on the market today are filled with chemicals and toxins. “The average person slathers, lathers, rubs and sprays, 10 different skin care products on his or her body every day—and since our skin acts more like a sponge than a barrier, we absorb the nearly 130 chemicals we regularly expose ourselves to,” according to TreeHugger.com.
If you want to avoid those chemicals, consider how you can create a natural skin care routine.
Three Quick Skin Tips
Even with natural products, keep a few basic tips in mind:
Keep your routine simple. Choose one product that works best for washing and one for moisturizing and end it at that.
- Your skin care routine should include a nightly wash. Before you rest your head for the night, clean your skin to clear out your pores.
- Avoid scented products. Fragrances are made with a cocktail of chemicals you don’t want on your face.
Try to DIY
If you don’t want to buy products, why not make your own. Here are a few skincare recipes to try.
Oatmeal Facial Mask – Beautylish.com
Use this in the morning for a healthy glow all day long. Spread a mixture of colloidal oats and water onto your face and leave it for 15 minutes, or until dry. Rinse it off with warm water and follow with an all-natural moisturizer.
Honey Face Cleanser – Prevention
Mix baking soda and honey, one tablespoon each, and add in a drop of water. Rub it on like you would any other scrub, massaging gently with circular motions. Rinse with warm water. If you have sensitive skin, skip the baking soda and just use honey and warm water.
Find Natural Products
In a sea of beauty products, many of which claim to be natural, how can you be sure which one is best? Choose products that have the following qualities:
- It comes in eco-friendly packaging: This means that, not only can you recycle the packaging, but you can be sure that no harmful toxins are leeching into your face wash and creams because there aren’t any in eco-friendly packaging.
- It’s organic: These products are made with ingredients that were grown sans synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.
- It contains ingredients you recognize: Think, coconut oil, argan oil, green tea, etc.