Let’s face it. Most of us have jam-packed schedules. As much as we would like to exercise and get fit there just don’t seem to be enough hours in the day. Or are there? Even if you are busier than you have ever been chances are you can find 20 minutes in your day to tone up, burn fat and give your heart the workout it craves. Do this 20-minute workout at least three times each week. If you are a beginner, modify the level of intensity until you build more strength and stamina. You can expect to notice changes in the look of your body and your fitness level in about 30 days.
20-minute workout routine
1. Warm up with 15 to 30 seconds of walking in place.
2. As you warm up, move into 60 seconds of moderate to vigorous cardio exercise. This can include high-knee raises, running in place or jumping rope. You can even walk or run up and down the stairs. If you choose to walk try taking the stairs two at a time to increase the amount of energy expended.
3. Continue with push-ups. Do two sets of ten. Don’t rest more than 5 to 10 seconds in between sets. Your goal here is to use the time well and to keep your heart rate up.
4. Return to cardio for 60 to 90 seconds
5. Follow cardio with two sets of forward lunges. Start with feet together and spine straight. Step forward with your right foot and bend your right knee until your thigh is parallel with the floor. Taking care to keep your back straight and maintain your balance, lower your left knee toward the floor. Hold for 10 seconds. Gently raise your knees and bring both feet together again. Continue with left foot and alternate for ten forward lunges per side. Complete two sets.
6. Return to cardio for 60 to 90 seconds
7. Do two sets of arm raise squats. Starting with feet hip-width apart lift arms straight above your head, with your elbows straight bend your knees and squat or sit back as if about to place yourself on a chair. Hold for 10 to 30 seconds. Lower your arms to your sides and return to a fully erect standing position. Repeat for two sets of ten.
8. Return to cardio for 60 to 90 seconds
9. Follow cardio with planks. Lie on your mat or towel as if about to do a push up. With your back straight and your head facing forward, raise your body up onto your elbows and toes. Hold for two reps of 30 to 60 seconds.
10. Cardio for 60-90 seconds.
11. Repeat steps 3 through 10.
12. Walk in place for 30 to 60 seconds.
13. Cool down with child’s pose. Kneel with knees and big toes touching. Sit back on the soles of your feet. With your arms extended straight behind you, bend forward from your waist until your forehead is on your mat. Hold this position for 30 to 60 seconds. Finally, stand and extend your arms above your head. Stretch tall, breathe deeply and give yourself a well deserved pat on the back.